The San Diego Padres (15-8) open a two-game interleague series with the Cleveland Guardians (10-12) on Tuesday at Progressive Field. First pitch is scheduled for 6:10 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Padres vs. Guardians odds with MLB picks and predictions.
These two teams haven’t met since July 4-6, 2017 in Cleveland, when San Diego won the series with two victories in three games.
The Padres, tied for first place in the National League West, have picked up nine victories in 13 games on the road. Overall, the Padres have a plus-20 run differential, too.
The Guardians are in second place in the American League Central, just 3.5 games off the pace despite a sub-.500 record. They also have a division-best 101 runs scored, and enter on a three-game win streak.
Padres at Guardians projected starters
RHP Mike Clevinger vs. RHP Zach Plesac
Clevinger will make his first start since Oct. 6, 2020, a playoff appearance against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Clevinger is making his way back from Tommy John surgery, which shuttered his entire 2021 campaign.
- Clevinger came up with the Cleveland organization, and went 41-20 with a 2.96 ERA and 1.15 WHIP with 10.2 K/9 from 2017-20.
Plesac (1-2, 3.80 ERA) makes his fifth start. He has a 1.31 WHIP, 1.69 BB/9 and 5.06 K/9 through 21.1 IP.
- Plesac makes his third start at Progressive Field. He has a 1-1 record and 2.25 ERA across 12 IP in two home outings, while posting a 5.79 ERA in two road starts.
- Plesac has just one win in five decisions across eight interleague starts during his career, including a loss to San Francisco on April 15.
Padres at Guardians odds and lines
- Money line (ML): Padres -140 (bet $140 to win $100) | Guardians +115 (bet $100 to win $115)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Padres -1.5 (+120) | Guardians +1.5 (-140)
- Over/Under (O/U): 7.5 (O: -130 | U: +105)
Padres at Guardians picks and predictions
Guardians 5, Padres 4
The GUARDIANS (+115) are a solid value at home in this interleague series opener. Clevinger was once a dominant pitcher, and he still very well could be for the Padres (-140). But you can expect some jitters, and a little bit of rust, too, as he faces his former team.
Cleveland is aiming to equal its season best with four straight victories, and it will do just that as short ‘dogs at home.
Run line/Against the spread
Cleveland won in Plesac’s most-recent start at home against the Chicago White Sox April 21, cashing as underdogs with a similar number in a 6-3 win. Look for more of the same here.
The OVER 7.5 (-130) has cashed in three of the past four home games for the Guardians. And while the Padres hit the Under in Sunday’s series finale in Pittsburgh, the Over is 6-1 across the past seven overall for San Diego.