The New York Mets (4-2) take on the Philadelphia Phillies (3-2) Wednesday for the finale of their three-game set at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Mets vs. Phillies odds with MLB picks and predictions.
The Mets look for their second series win of the season in this set finale. New York was held to just 3 hits Tuesday in a 2-0 victory as it limited Philadelphia to just 2 doubles and 4 singles with 10 runners left on base.
The Phillies struck out 12 times against Mets pitching Tuesday while failing to draw a walk. After scoring 9 runs in the regular-season opener Friday, Philadelphia has plated 10 total runs across the past four outings.
Mets at Phillies: Projected starters
Mets RHP Max Scherzer vs. Phillies RHP Aaron Nola
Scherzer won his Mets debut Friday in Washington, one of his former teams, yielding 3 runs and 3 hits with 1 walk and 6 strikeouts across 6 innings.
- Posted an 8-2 record, 2.05 ERA and .163 opponent batting average across 14 daytime starts in 2021 across 92 1/3 IP.
- Dominated the Phillies in 2021, posting a 3-0 record and 1.23 ERA with 28 strikeouts across 22 IP over four starts.
Nola wasn’t terribly sharp in his Friday’s opener against Oakland, but he won, allowing 4 runs on 4 hits and no walks with 7 strikeouts across 6 IP.
- Went 3-1 with a 4.08 ERA over 68 1/3 IP across 12 starts during the day in 2021, including his only complete game of the season.
- Turned in a 1-1 record, 2.25 ERA and .241 opponent batting average with 33 strikeouts over 20 IP in four starts vs. NYM in 2021.
Mets at Phillies odds, spread and lines
- Money line (ML): Mets -105 (bet $105 to win $100) | Phillies -115 (bet $115 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Mets -1.5 (+155) | Phillies +1.5 (-190)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8.5 (O: -102 | U: -122)
Mets at Phillies prediction and picks
Mets 3, Phillies 2
The METS (-105) scratched out a low-scoring win Tuesday, and you can expect similar results with Scherzer on the hill in this getaway day game. Runs should be at a premium with two aces on the bump, but New York proved to be capable of more timely hits in the middle game.
Run line/Against the spread
The Phillies +1.5 (-190) will cost you two times your potential return, and it’s just not worth that kind of risk. If you like them with Nola on the hill in the finale, just play them straight up.
I wouldn’t make a habit of betting the UNDER 8.5 (-122) in games at the bandbox known as Citizens Bank Park, but we saw just 2 total runs Tuesday, and there isn’t a lot more offense expected with Scherzer and Nola expected to throw up plenty of donuts.