The Chicago Cubs (18-24) and Cincinnati Reds (12-30) will play the 3rd of their 4-game series Wednesday with the first pitch from the Great American Ball Park at 6:40 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Cubs vs. Reds odds with MLB picks and predictions.
Season series: Cubs lead 2-0 after wining the first 2 games of the series, outscoring the Reds 18-8.
The Cubs are on a 3-game winning streak after they had lost 4 straight. They’ve been a streaky team lately, also winning 4 in a row earlier this month. They rank in the middle of MLB in most hitting categories, scoring the 14th-most runs (184) and ranking 15th in team batting average (.236).
The Reds have lost 4 of their last 5 games, but have righted the ship a bit as the season has gone on. Nine of their 12 wins this season have come since May 7, going 9-8 in that stretch.
Cubs at Reds projected starters
RHP Kyle Hendricks vs. RHP Luis Castillo
Hendricks (2-4, 4.89 ERA) makes his 10th start. He has a 1.33 WHIP, 3.1 BB/9 and 6.3 K/9 in 49 2/3 IP.
- Gave up 4 HR, 7 ER in last start May 20 vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks, both his highest totals of the season.
- Has had 5 starts allowing 2 or fewer runs, but also 3 starts allowing 6-plus runs.
- Is 7-5 with a 4.32 ERA in 22 career starts against the Reds.
Castillo (0-2, 4.60 ERA) makes his 4th start. He has a 1.15 WHIP, 2.3 BB/9 and 6.9 K/9 in 15 2/3 IP.
- Allowed just 2 R in 6 IP with 5 K no walks in last start May 20, a 2-1 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Is 5-5 with a 3.97 ERA in 14 career starts against the Cubs.
Cubs at Reds odds and lines
- Money line (ML): Cubs +120 (bet $100 to win $120) | Reds -145 (bet $145 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Cubs +1.5 (-175) | Reds -1.5 (+140)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8.5 (O: -122 | U: -102)
Cubs at Reds picks and predictions
Cubs 6, Reds 4
Hendricks has struggled this season, but it’s somewhat surprising to see the Cubs as underdogs in this matchup. They’ve been solid on the road, going 11-9 away from Wrigley Field, and they easily took the first 2 games of this series.
I like the CUBS (+120) on the money line to win outright against a Reds team that hasn’t hit the ball well at all this season.
Run line/Against the spread
You can take a little bit of insurance on the run line by taking the Cubs +1.5 (-175), but that line is juiced too heavily for me to bet on it. I’d much rather just stick to the money line and aim for the Cubs to take the 3rd game of the series.
PASS on the spread.
The total went Over in each of the first 2 games of the series, with 15 and 11 runs being scored. With 2 pitchers on the mound who don’t strike out batters at a high rate, I think we could see another high-scoring game in Cincinnati. Plus, the total has gone Over in each of the Cubs’ last 5 games.
Bet the OVER 8.5 (-122).
BaseballHQ Fantasy Baseball
BaseballPress.com: Your source for every MLB lineup