The Boston Red Sox (0-1) and New York Yankees (1-0) continue their season-opening three-game set Saturday. First pitch at Yankee Stadium is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Red Sox vs. Yankees odds with MLB picks and predictions.
Season series: The Yankees defeated Boston 6-5 in 11 innings Friday. The Red Sox took 10 of 19 games in 2021.
The Red Sox jumped out to an early 3-0 lead but allowed New York to chip away and tie Friday’s game at 4-4 in the eighth. Boston would fall in the 11th to a 3B Josh Donaldson RBI single.
The Yanks bullpen allowed 2 runs (1 earned) in 7 IP Friday. New York batters clubbed 3 HR.
Red Sox at Yankees: Projected starters
RHP Nick Pivetta vs. RHP Luis Severino
Pivetta (9-8, 4.53 ERA in 2021) draws the start in game No. 2 for Boston. He posted a 1.30 WHIP, 3.8 BB/9, and 10.2 K/9 in 155 IP last season.
- Had a rocky outing in his lone Yankee Stadium start in 2021 (1 2/3 IP, 7 base runners, 4 ER). Was otherwise tremendous away from home last year, holding opposing batters to a .627 OPS.
- Current New York batters own an aggregate .817 OPS against him.
Due to injuries and surgery recovery time, Severino pitched just 6 innings last season and has tossed just 18 frames since the end of the 2018 season.
- Current Boston batters own a .461 OPS against him.
Red Sox at Yankees odds, spread and lines
- Money line: Red Sox +130 (bet $100 to win $130) | Yankees -160 (bet $160 to win $100)
- Against the spread (ATS): Red Sox +1.5 (-155) | Yankees -1.5 (+125)
- Over/Under (O/U): 9.5 (O: +105 | U: -130)
Red Sox at Yankees prediction and picks
Red Sox 6, Yankees 5
Severino is a question mark, especially with how far he can go in this start. He’s backed by a bullpen that was more spent than Boston’s in yesterday’s 11-inning affair.
Pivetta’s road success and some bounce-back gravity make the RED SOX (+130) the best play in Saturday’s game.
Run line/Against the spread
For a second straight day, a double-digit wind blowing out to center is in the forecast. Figure a small-to-moderate lean on the OVER 9.5 (+105).
Follow SportsbookWire on Twitter and like us on Facebook.