The Boston Red Sox (8-12) and Baltimore Orioles (6-13) open a 3-game set Friday. First pitch from Oriole Park at Camden Yards is set for 7:05 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Red Sox vs. Orioles odds with MLB picks and predictions.
Friday marks the first of 19 meetings between the AL East rivals in 2022. Boston took 13 of the 19 games in 2021.
The Red Sox have dropped their last 3 series. They lost 3 of 4 games at the Toronto Blue Jays this week, including a 1-0 defeat in Thursday’s getaway game.
The Orioles return home after a 10-game road swing. Baltimore was swept in a 3-game series Tuesday-Thursday at the New York Yankees and was outscored 27-15 in the process.
Red Sox at Orioles projected starters
LHP Rich Hill vs. RHP Kyle Bradish
Hill (0-1, 4.85 ERA) makes his 4th start. He has a 1.62 WHIP, 4.2 BB/9 and 4.8 K/9 through 13 IP.
- Held the Tampa Bay Rays scoreless with 4 H and 3 B with just 1 K in 4 IP in a road start Sunday.
- Was 1-0 with a 4.22 ERA in 2 starts versus the Orioles in 2021 as a member of the Rays.
Bradish makes his first MLB start. He is 2-0 with a 1.20 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 1.8 BB/9 and 10.2 K/9 through 15 IP in 3 starts at AAA-Norfolk.
- Registered a 3.68 ERA in 22 starts and 2 relief appearances at AA- and AAA-ball in 2021.
- Had 4 scoreless IP with 3 H, 3 BB and 5 K in 1 start and 1 relief appearance in spring training.
Red Sox at Orioles odds and lines
- Money line (ML): Red Sox -130 (bet $130 to win $100) | Orioles +105 (bet $100 to win $105)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Red Sox -1.5 (+125) | Orioles +1.5 (-155)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8.5 (O: -107 | U: -115)
Red Sox at Orioles picks and predictions
Boston 5, Baltimore 4
This should be a good spot for the Red Sox as they continue their road trip. Boston has struggled through the early portion of the season, but it has gone through a difficult schedule to start the season with series against the New York Yankees, Blue Jays, Rays and Minnesota Twins — all teams that have been performing very well.
Baltimore should present an opportunity for Boston to get its season on the right track. With the 18-year veteran Hill on the mound for the Red Sox this may actually be a closer affair than would normally be the case, but a small wager on the RED SOX (-130) may be warranted here.
Run line/Against the spread
The Rich Hill versus a rookie in his MLB start causes just too much uncertainty here to have much faith in either side. PASS.
There have been a lot of Unders to start the MLB season, but the uncertainty on the mound compounded with 2 lacking bullpens should provide plenty of possibility for this one to reach the OVER 8.5 (-107). But you may want to pass, or consider a lighter play if this line moves up.